When it comes to all the dishes on our menu, everything is delicious and full of flavor. But this month, we want to share our appreciation for the Indian street food called chaat. If you have yet to try it, or you’re curious about what it’s made from, we encourage you to stick around! And if you’re craving this delectable dish after our article, stop by at your favorite Nashua restaurant, India Palace, for some chaat!
What is Chaat?
Chaat is a popular street food in India known for its unique blend of flavors and textures. The word “chaat” comes from the Hindi word “chaatna,” which means “to lick,” and it is a reflection of the irresistible and addictive nature of this delicious food.
Chaat is typically made with a combination of ingredients such as potatoes, chickpeas, yogurt, tamarind chutney, and various spices. The ingredients are often served on a bed of fried dough called “puri” or on top of a thin, crispy fried pastry called “papdi.”
Different Types of Chaat
There are various types of chaat, each with its own unique combination of ingredients and flavors. You can also find them right at India Palace! Some of the most popular types of chaat include:
- Pani Puri: Also known as gol gappa or gup chup, Pani Puri is a small round pastry filled with a mixture of potatoes, chickpeas, and spices and is typically served with a tamarind and mint water.
- Dahi Puri: Dahi Puri is a chaat made with small round puri filled with a mixture of potatoes, chickpeas, and spices and topped with yogurt, tamarind chutney, and various spices.
- Samosa Chaat: Samosa chaat is made by crushing samosas and mixing them with yogurt, tamarind chutney, and other spices.
- Aloo Tikki Chaat: Aloo Tikki Chaat is made by deep-frying a patty made of boiled potatoes and spices, and then topping it with yogurt, tamarind chutney, and various spices.
- Bhel Puri: Bhel Puri is made with puffed rice, vegetables, and various chutneys.
- Sev Puri: Sev Puri is made with small round puri, filled with potatoes, chickpeas, and spices, then topped with sev (small, thin pieces of fried gram flour) and various chutneys.
Visit Your Favorite Nashua Restaurant, India Palace!
Each of these types of chaat has its own unique flavor and texture, and they are all delicious in their own way. The combination of sweet, sour, and spicy flavors, along with the crunchy and soft textures, make chaat an irresistible and satisfying street food! If you’re interested in trying this dish, we encourage you to browse our online menu to explore the endless options. We look forward to your next visit!